A delicious banana spiked cake is glazed with a rich chocolate poured frosting making this Banana Texas Sheet Cake the ultimate flavor combination.
Who doesn’t love a classic Texas Sheet Cake? I know that it is one of our favorite and most requested cakes in our house. It feeds a crowd and is super simple and quick to whip up. I mean thats the best of both worlds!
So I’m the hugest lover of anything banana flavor. You can see that in my Strawberry Banana Poke Cake, Banana Magic Cake and my Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake. I mean me are crazy for bananas around this house. And there is absolutely no shame behind that either.
This Banana Texas Sheet Cake has the perfect balance of banana flavor, and if you’ve never tried banana and chocolate together then my friends you’re missing out. That is one heck of a flavor combination. I mean chocolate covered bananas? Heck yes!!
WHY IS IT CALLED TEXAS SHEET CAKE?
So there are many theories behind this name. One is that it is because the cake itself is huge. I mean the phrase “everything is bigger in Texas” really fits with that theory since this cake does feed a crowd, not that you want to share but still.
WHAT IS THE SIZE OF A SHEET CAKE?
There are many different variations of sheet cake. The full standard sheet cake is around 16″-18″ by 24″. Now that is a big cake. This Banana Texas Sheet Cake is baked in a 12″x17″ pan but you can also use a 15″x10″ pan as well. Both will work perfectly, the only thing different will be the thickness of the cake itself.
HOW LONG DO YOU BAKE A SHEET CAKE?
Most sheet cakes bake in under 30 minutes. Which is nice, you get a lot of cake in a short amount of time. With the batter spread out and thinner it takes less time to cook than your average 9″x13″ cake. So you can have a huge dessert to bring to potlucks or gatherings that don’t take a year to put together.
The best thing about sheet cakes is that there are so many different flavors that you can create. That is why they have long become one of our favorite cakes to make hands down.
So try this awesome Banana Texas Sheet Cake and have the kids go wild. I know one of my kids favorite snacks are frozen chocolate covered bananas, now you get that flavor in cake form!
Banana Texas Sheet Cake
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter soft
- 2 eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 Tbs cocoa powder
- 6 Tbs milk
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a 12"x17" or 10"x15" pan with parchment paper or silpat mat, set aside
- In stand mixer beat together sugar and butter until combined.
- Add in eggs and mix until blended.
- Add in bananas and vanilla.
- In bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add into your wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spread into your prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until center is set.
- Meanwhile to make your frosting in saucepan on stove melt together butter, cocoa powder and milk and bring to a gentle boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Pour and spread over warm cake.
- Let sit 15-20 minutes for frosting to set.
- Serve with sliced bananas if desired.
PIN IT FOR LATER!