You’ll fall head over heals for my Secret Ingredient Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies that once you try them you’ll never want to go back to any other recipe!
Chocolate chip cookies are a staple in anyones house. My mom used to make them when I was a kid and I hated them. Yes thats right, I hated her cookie recipe (sorry mom). They always turned out crunchy and I’m 100% a chewy cookie kinda gal.
These Secret Ingredient Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies have a lightly crisp edge with a chewy soft center. In my personal opinion they are the best chocolate chip cookies ever. But everyone has their own opinions but you have to give them a try! And wait until you get to the recipe to see what the secret ingredient is!
WHO INVENTED THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE?
WHAT MAKES A COOKIE CHEWY?
The simple answer to this burning question is high moisture. So adding ingredients that have moisture in them like brown sugar which contains about molasses and molasses contains about 10% water, melted butter, egg, etc makes the evaporation of liquid harder in turn leading to a chewy/soft cookie.
HOW DO I MAKE COOKIES SOFTER?
Reduce your baking time. Until waiting for the cookies to get golden all over pull them out of the oven when the edges are just starting to turn golden and the center still is soft and appears to be underdone. The cookies will continue to bake for a little longer but will result in a soft and chewy center,
HOW DO YOU KEEP COOKIES SOFT?
Baked up super soft cookies and want to keep them that way? When storing cookies either in a ziploc bag or a rubber container place a quarter slice of white bread in with the cookies.
The cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread keeping them soft, and the flavor of the bread will not transfer over to the cookies, so it’s a win win situation.
HOW DO YOU MOISTEN HARD OR STALE COOKIES?
Go to reach for a cookie that was once soft but now has become hard, thats the worst thing EVER! There are a few tips that you can try to revive those otherwise delicious cookies:
- Steam them in your microwave. Place hard cookies on a plate and fill a mug with water, heat on low for 30 second intervals until cookies become moist.
- Place cookies in ziploc bag with a slice of apple. The cookies will absorb the moisture from the apple and hopefully make them soft again.
- Dampen a paper towel and wrap the cookie in it, microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute until cookie is soft.
If you want that perfect cookie recipe, look no further this Secret Ingredient Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe will be your go to cookie for the long haul!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbs malted milk powder
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt + more for topping
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat, set side.
- In stand mixer add your butter and sugars and mix together until combined.
- In small bowl whisk together your egg and vanilla then add to butter mixture and mix for 1 minute.
- Add in flour, malted milk powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix until just combined.
- Add in your chocolate chips until blended.
- Using a large cookie scoop or ice cream scoop place dough on prepared sheet spacing 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle the tops with a little salt and bake for 13-15 minutes until edges are just golden.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with some more coarse salt while warm.
PIN IT FOR LATER!